4 140g-175g slices of Rhug Estate Organic Aberdeen Angus Beef Braising Steak
Vasse Virgin Rich & Robust Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
Large pinch of dried oregano
150ml ILauri Salto Sangiovese (or any red wine)
5 tsp Dijion mustard
3 tsp capers, plus a little of their juice
200ml Our Very Own Beef Stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Optional: Creme fraiche and chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius/gas 4.
- Snip through the fat and membrane of the steaks (this stops them curling up when browning) and coat each one lightly in the seasoned flour.
- Heat a little oil in a saute pan and brown the steaks well on both sides (You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your pan as the steaks will stew and not brown if the pan is overcrowded).
- Remove from the pan. Add more oil if necessary, then add the onion and oregano and cook until beginning to soften and brown.
- Pour in the red wine and bubble fast for 1 minute. Add the mustard, capers, plus some of their juice and the stock or water.
- Bring to a boil, check the seasoning, return the meat to the pan or transfer everything to an ovenproof serving dish. Cover with a lid or foil and cook for 1½ hours.
- Swirl in some creme fraiche and chopped parsley just before serving, if you like.