Cooking Your KellyBronze Free-Range Turkey
If you're lucky enough to have secured one of our limited stock of KellyBronze free-range turkeys this year, you may come looking for the "how-to-cook" instructions. Paul Kelly has this all wrapped up neatly for you in his fabulous little video.
The beauty of his turkeys lie in the incredible short cooking time they require - less than half the normal time we are accustomed to. This is simply down to the way the birds have been raised, with plenty of fat that allows the meat to roast faster than the normal off-the-shelf turkeys.
DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THESE INSTRUCTIONS. NOT EVEN BY ONE MINUTE!
Enjoy every morsel!
- Place turkey in a tin breast side down with 500ml water and your favourite vegetables. Season well. Do not stuff - cook stuffing separately. Do not use foil, so that you don’t poach the meat.
- Turn the bird over half way through our recommended cooking time. Season again.
- Pierce right through the skin between the legs and breast to allow the juices to drain and the thighs to cook.
- Check its temperature. From half way through the cooking time, monitor the temperature regularly by putting the thermometer half way through the thickest part of the meat. Remove the bird from the oven as soon as the temperature reads 60°C.
- Leave the turkey to rest in the kitchen uncovered. Meanwhile, skim off any excess fat from the top of the stock. Scrape and mix in the caramelised bits from the bottom of the tin. Reheat.
- Peel off the skin and place on a baking tray, season and return to a hot oven for 10-15 minutes until crisp like crackling.
3kg - 1.5 hours
4kg - 1.75 hours
5kg - 2 hours
Recipe credit: KellyBronze
- Sasha's Fine Foods