Delicious with chicken, beef, fish and sausages, this dish will complete your meal.
INGREDIENTS8 Baby Beetroots, raw
Vasse Virgin Rich & Robust Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Black Pepper
Fresh Thyme Sprigs (Optional)
200ml Crème Fraîche
3 Tsp Creamed Horseradish
Chives or Chopped Parsely for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 200 C. Wash the beetroot and cut off all but 5cm of the stems. This is important, otherwise the beetroot will 'bleed'.
- Tear off a large piece of foil, place the beetroot in the middle, scatter over a large glug of olive oil, some salt, black pepper and a few sprigs of thyme if using. Bring up the sides of the foil crimping the edges together, making a loose, domed parcel.
- Put into a roasting tin and cook for 1.5 to 2 hours depending on the size of the beetroot, less time if smaller. When the skin slip off easily they are cooked.
- When cool enough to handle, slip the skin off the beetroot - rubber gloves will prevent stained hands.
- Mix the Crème Fraîche and horseradish together and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Slice the beetroot and arrange in concentric circles in a shallow overproof dish just large enough to take the beetroot in one layer. The slices should be slightly overlapping.
- Spoon the sauce over the beetroot and cook for 20-25 minutes until hot and bubbling around the edges. Just before serving scatter with snipped chives or chopped parsley if you like.
Recipe Credit: The Get-Ahead Cook by Jane Lovett