A quick and easy Stir-fried Japanese udon noodles recipe made with sliced pork belly and vegetables seasoned with a savory sauce.
180g Organic Japanese Udon Noodles
½ white onion
2-3 leaves cabbage
2 shiitake mushrooms
2 spring onions/scallions
227g sliced pork belly (or your choice of meat, seafood, or extra vegetables/mushrooms)
1 tbsp Vasse Virgin Mild & Delicate Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Freshly ground black pepper
2-3 tbsp tamari
3 tbsp dried bonito flakes
1 tbsp pickled red ginger (optional)
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook udon noodles.
- Slice onion and cut cabbage into 2.5 cm square pieces. Julienne the carrot into 5 cm long strips.
- Discard the tough shiitake stems and slice the mushroom tops. Thinly slice the top 5 cm green part of scallions and set aside (for garnish). Cut the rest of the scallion into 5 cm pieces.
- Cut the pork belly slices into 2.5 cm pieces.
- In a frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook until almost cooked through. Then add onion and cook until translucent and soft.
- Add cabbage and carrots and stir fry until coated with oil. Then add shiitake mushrooms and scallion. Stir fry until vegetables are lightly wilted.
- Add udon noodles and using tongs, combine well with all the ingredients.
- Add freshly ground black pepper and tamari and mix all together. Please adjust the amount of tamari to your liking.
- Serve on a plate and sprinkle bonito flakes and green onions on top. Garnish with red pickled ginger on the side if you like.
Recipe and Image Credit: Just One Cookbook