Serves 6 to 8
2kg Rhug Estate Organic Welsh Lamb Shoulder, Bone In
Vasse Virgin Rich & Robust Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 bulb of garlic, broken into cloves
A handful of fresh rosemary sprigs
2 red onions, peeled and quartered
3 Carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2 sticks of celery, cut into pieces
1 large leek or 2 to 3 baby leeks, trimmed and cut into pieces
A handful of ripe tomatoes, halved
2 bay leaves
A handful of fresh thyme sprigs
800g canned plum tomatoes
1 bottle ILauri Salto Sangiovese
- Preheat your oven to 200C/Gas 6.
- Rub the lamb with oil, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and put it into a roasting tray.
- Using a sharp knife, make small incisions all over the lamb and poke rosemary leaves and some quartered cloves of garlic into each one. This will give great flavour to the meat.
- Add the rest of the garlic cloves, the onions, carrots, celery, leeks and fresh tomatoes to the tray, then tuck the remaining herbs under the meat.
- Pour the canned tomatoes over the top, followed by the wine. Cover the tray lightly with a double layer of foil and it into the oven.
- Turn down the oven temperature to 170C/Gas 2 and cook for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, until the lamb is soft, melting and sticky and you can pull it apart with a fork.
- Gently break up the meat, pull out the bones, and extract any herb stalks. Squeeze the garlic out of the skins and mush it in. Shred the lamb and check the seasoning.