2 mackerel fillets
2 tsp cold-pressed olive oil
2 baby beetroots, peeled and very thinly sliced
100g cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
1 apple, cored, quartered and sliced
1 tbsp lemon juice plus lemon wedges, to serve
100g natural yoghurt
Garnish of your choice
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6.
- Put one of the mackerel fillets on a board and cut a ‘V’ down the centre, either side of the pin bones, to create two smaller fillets, then remove the bones. Repeat with the other fillet. Rub with the oil and set aside.
- Put the beetroot, cucumber and apple in a bowl. Drizzle over the lemon juice, add the yogurt and mix well. Season with ground black pepper and toss together lightly. Set aside.
- Place the mackerel fillets on a baking tray and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Put the fillets on top of the salad and serve with garnish and lemon wedges for squeezing over.
Recipe and photo credit: BBC GoodFood