INGREDIENTS400g Boneless Pork Shoulder, cut into 2cm cubes
1/2 onion, finely grated
1 tsp garlic, finely grated
1 tsp ginger, finely grated
3/8 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cornflour/cornstarch
2 tbsp light soy sauce
5 tbsp cornflour/cornstarch - for mixing in
1/2 cup cornflour/cornstarch - for Coating
2 - 3 cups olive oil
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
3 tbsp pineapple juice (from a can of pineapple pieces in juice, preferably no added sugar)
3 tbsp ketchup
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp Oyster Sauce
4 tsp cornflour/corn starch
1/2 cup waterFor Stir Frying:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove , finely chopped
2 tsp ginger , finely chopped
1 onion (medium), cut into 2.5cm cubes
1/2 red capsicum (large), cut into 2.5cm
1/2 green capsicum (large), cut into 2.5cm
1 cup pineapple pieces (from the can of pineapple under Sauce)
- Mix Pork with Marinade. Marinade 18 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 80°C and place rack on tray - to keep pork warm.
- Place all Sauce ingredients EXCEPT water in a large jug or small bowl.
- Mix until combined, then mix in water.
- Have all ingredients lined up, ready to toss in. After Fry #2, things move quickly.
- Coating #1: Mix 5 tablespoons cornflour into the pork and leave for 5 minutes. At first, it will be white from the cornflour, but after a while it will sweat and make the cornflour (mostly / partially) wet, and will be sticky (this is key for coating to stick).
- Coating #2: Spread 1/2 cup cornflour in a shallow bowl. Coat pork, shaking off excess, and pile onto a plate.
- Reserve cornflour in case you need to dust again just prior to frying. Pork should be at least half white when you put it into the oil (if not, just sprinkle with reserved cornflour).
- Pour enough oil into a large saucepan or small pot so it's 2.5cm deep. Heat to 180°C (or until pork immediately starts sizzling when you dip it in).
- Fry #1: Cook pork in batches, being sure not to crowd the pot, for 3 minutes until golden. Drain on rack. This step is just to cook the pork. It takes me 4 batches.
- Fry #2: Turn the stove up slightly and heat oil to 200°C/390°F. Starting with the coolest pork, add half the pork (you can crowd the pot) and cook for 1 1/2 minutes, or until pork is deep golden brown and crispy.
- Transfer to rack, repeat with remaining pork. (If doing smaller batches)
- Keep warm in oven.
- Heat oil in a very large skillet over high heat.
- Add garlic, ginger and onion, stir for 1 1/2 minutes. Add capsicum and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add Sauce & pineapple, then let it come to a rapid simmer. Simmer for 2 minutes until it thickens - when you drag the spoon across the base, a path should briefly appear.
- Add pork, then QUICKLY toss to coat - aim for 10 seconds!
- Serve asap! Pour onto serving plate, serve immediately! Will stay crispy for around 5 minutes then starts softening but still has a solid coating.
Recipe and Image Credit: Recipetineats
- For one of each item
- For one of each item