Turkey Hash Cakes with Poached Eggs
450g dry, warm mashed potatoes
350g chopped cooked turkey (thigh is best for this)
1 small onion, peeled and chopped finely
25g unsalted butter
300g cooked cabbage or spinach roughly chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly milled black pepper
Vegetable oil for cooking
2 tbs flour
1 egg lightly beaten
4 lightly poached eggs
150g watercress or 2 small bunches
- Cook the onions in the unsalted butter for a couple of minutes until slightly soft and translucent.
- Place the mashed potatoes, cooked onions, turkey, cabbage and salt and pepper into a bowl and mix well.
- Add the olive oil and a few dry breadcrumbs to form a firm but not stiff mixture. Form into 4 balls and flatten slightly, dust with flour and reserve.
- Using a pastry brush, paint egg on both flat sides of the cakes and sprinkle with breadcrumbs, pat down lightly.
- To finish, heat a few tablespoons of vegetable oil in a frying pan and cook the cakes on both sides for 3 minutes.
- Place a little watercress on a warm plate. top with a cake, a little more watercress and a poached egg.
Recipe credit: KellyBronze
- Sasha's Fine Foods