1. Dry and season the steak: Thoroughly pat steaks dry with paper towels on each side. The surface should be very dry to help brown the surface of the meat. Generously season each side of the steaks with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a large 12-inch cast iron skillet over high heat for 3 minutes. Once hot, add the olive oil.
3. Use tongs to carefully add the steak to the pan, then press down firmly on the surface a few times for more contact. Sear the first side until browned, about 2 to 4 minutes.Flip and cook for another 2 to 4 minutes. For medium rare doneness, cook steak until it reaches an internal temperature of 130oF.
4. Transfer the steak to a cutting board, loosely cover with foil, and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
5. Slice the steak across the grain, about 1/4-inch thick slices and serve.