Beef Katsu Curry
2 Rhug Estate Organic Aberdeen Angus Beef Sirloin Steak
75g seasoned plain flour
1 large egg - beaten
75g panko breadcrumbs
25g golden breadcrumbs
Vasse Virgin Rich & Robust Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil for shallow frying
For the sauce:
1 tsp Vasse Virgin Rich & Robust Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 onion finely chopped
2.5cm piece fresh root ginger, grated
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp medium curry powder
2 tbsp plain flour
250ml Our Very Own Chicken Stock
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Vasse Virgin Margaret River Pure Honey
- Take the steaks out of the fridge 20 minutes prior to cooking.
- Make the sauce by heating the oil in a pan and fry the onion for a few minutes until it softens and starts to colour.
- Add the garlic and ginger. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add the curry powder and flour. Stir for a minute and slowly add the stock while stirring continuously to avoid any lumps.
- Add the honey and soy sauce. Boil and simmer for 10 minutes. You may need to add water if it is too thick.
- Place in blender for a smooth sauce.
- Put the flour, egg and breadcrumbs in 3 different bowls.
- Dip the beef steaks in the flour, then the egg and then in the breadcrumbs ensuring they are all coated.
- To cook, gently heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the beef steaks over low-medium heat for 5 to 5 minutes on each side until cooked. Rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with sticky rice, Katsu curry sauce and a nice crisp salad.
Recipe and image credit: Welsh Beef & Lamb
- Sasha's Fine Foods