Grounded black pepper and salt to season
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Wipe the chicken clean and trim off all excess fat. Wash the lemon and thyme.
- Squash the lemon, then pierce all over with a cooking fork until soft.
- Season the chicken skin and the cavity. Put the lemon and thyme inside, and close using wooden toothpicks.
- Roast the chicken on an oven tray, breast side down for 1½ hours. Do not use any oil or butter, the chicken will self-baste. Turn the bird breast-side up after the first hour.
- Serve with the juices.
Recipe credits: A Helping Hand: Delicious Recipes in English & Tagalog
Image credits: Greg Dupree