600g Pork Belly
250ml Shaoxing wine
2 tablespoon light soy sauce
2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
5 slices Ginger
2 star anise
2 bay leaves
20g rock sugar or 1 tablespoon sugar
1. Cut the pork belly into 2-3cm chunks. Put it into a pot and fill it up with cold water. Boil over high heat to blanch the pork
2. Once it boils, skim off the froth on the surface with a spoon. Drain the pork belly and rinse with water.
3. To braise the pork, place it into a pot. Add in Shaoxing wine and add hot water without covering the pork. Add in light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, ginger, star anise and bay leaves. Bring it up a full boil and leave it to simmer over low heat for 1-1 ½ hour until the pork belly is tender.
4. To thicken the broth, add sugar and turn heat up to maximum. Leave it to boil until the broth is reduced.
5. Best served with white steamed rice.
Recipe Credit : Redhousespice