Makes 8 Mini Fishcakes
Ingredients500g Salmon Pieces
10g fresh dill
Salt and pepper
Flour for dusting
1 tbsp olive oil
For the thick white sauce:15g butter
20g plain flour
- Put enough water to cover the fish into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Once water is boiling, add the fish to the pan. Once it reaches boiling point, turn the heat down and gently simmer the fish for around 5 minutes.
- Whilst it is cooking get on with making the thicker-than-usual white sauce. You want it to bing the ingredients together, so this is made with slightly less milk than usual.
- In a non-stick saucepan melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the flour to the butter, stirring all the time until it is smooth. Stir for a further 30seconds.
- Now add the milk, a splash at a time, waiting for the butter and flour mixture to absorb it before adding more. Stirring continuously. Once the contents of your saucepan have boiled, you are ‘safe’ and lumps cannot form. Stir in the remaining milk.
- Once the sauce has read the desired consistency (12mins cooking time), add the salt and pepper.
- Place the fish pieces in a mixing bowl before adding the breadcrumbs.
- Add the chopped herbs to the fish as well as the now cool white sauce and the salt and pepper.
- Mix everything together with your hands before shaping the mixture into patties around 7cm diameter (larger if you are making for adults).
- At this stage, the fishcakes can now be frozen. For those who want to cook and serve them immediately, dust with a sprinkling of flour and pan fry in a splash of olive oil over medium heat until golden (about a minute on both sides).
Image Credit: Everyday Healthy Recipes