Toad in the Hole
A classic family friendly dish that is perfect for a mid-week supper or a weekend treat.
INGREDIENTSFor the Batter
3 Nature's Best Eggs
100g plain flour
250ml semi-skimmed milk
For the Sausages and Gravy
12 Wicks Manor English Pork Sausage Chipolatas (or any Wicks Manor Pork Sasauge of your choice)
2 large white onions, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons of butter
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
Sea salt and pepper to season
1 heaped tablespoon plain flour
Vasse Virgin Rich & Robust Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Organic Beef Bone Broth
Green Beans to serve
- Preheat your oven to about 240°C
- Whisk the eggs, flour, milk and a pinch of salt in a bowl, then pour into a jug.
- For the gravy put a large pan on a medium heat. Add the butter, olive oil and chopped onions. Add in the leaves from the rosemary sprigs. Gently cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden.
- Put the sausages into a roasting tray and sprinkle over a little olive oil and cook in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Place the cooked sausages to a deep open proof dish. Pour in the batter, then put straight into the middle of the oven.
- Cook for around 8 to 10 minutes, or until the pudding is golden and fluffy. Do not open the door.
- Finish off making the gravy. Add beef stock with hot water to your onion sauce you made earlier. Gently simmer and then pour into a jug.
- Serve with rich onion gravy and green beans.
Recipe and Image Credit: Wicks Manor
- Sasha's Fine Foods