Time required: 1 hour
2 tbsp Vasse Virgin Mild & Delicate Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
400g tin chopped tomatoes
4 Sutton Hoo British Free Range Chicken Breast Fillets
50g panko breadcrumbs
1 Nature's Best Egg, beaten
pinch dried chilli flakes
100g mozzarella, cut into 5mm/¼in-thick slices
handful fresh basil or oregano leaves
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and fry the garlic until soft. Add the tomatoes and gently simmer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7. Lay the chicken breasts in between two sheets of baking paper and bash with a meat tenderiser or rolling pin, until flattened slightly.
- Season the breadcrumbs with salt in a shallow bowl or plate. Put the egg in another shallow bowl. Coat the chicken in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the remaining oil and the butter in a frying pan over a medium–high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes, or until crisp, turning halfway through.
- Put half of the tomato sauce in a shallow ovenproof dish. Lay the chicken on top, scatter with the chilli flakes and cover with the remaining sauce. Top with the mozzarella and cover with a lid or foil. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Uncover the chicken and bake for a further 8–10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the breast, until cooked through. Top with the basil and serve.
Recipe and image credit: BBC Food
- Sasha's Fine Foods