Flavourful, tasty and comforting Japanese Shabu Shabu bowl.
Chopped spring onions
Shichimi Togarashi (Japanese mixed chili pepper seasoning)
- In medium pot over medium heat, combine water, dashi granules, tamari, mirin, and honey.
- Cut pork belly strips into bite-sized pieces, about 2-3 inches in length.
- Add pork to the pot, stirring to separate meat slices. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Cover pot with lid, leaving a slight gap and reduce heat to a low. Simmer for at least 30 minutes (45 minutes is best).
- Remove lid and add onions. Mix well and simmer uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- Serve over hot rice, spooning some of the braising liquid over the meat.
- Garnish with chopped green onions, Shichimi Togarashi (Japanese pepper mix) and pickled ginger, if desired.
Recipe Credit: A Day in the Kitchen